Making the Tough Choices
Tips on how NOT to make decisions...
- The bishop is in favor of the project. That means we should automatically: 1) endorse it or 2) dump it.
- It’s a contentious issue. So let’s not talk about it. Let’s just vote.
- Louie’s not here. So let’s vote now.
- We might offend someone. Let’s do nothing.
- We might offend someone. YES!
- The roof’s leaking again. Good thing that new vestry is coming on.
- The disciples cast lots. Here’s some dice.
- We did it that way last time. Can’t remember why, but you’re not complaining, are you?
- If people hate us, we must be doing Jesus’ work.
- We don’t have enough money for it? Ask the women’s guild. It sure is a good thing we have all these separate accounts. How else would we get anything done?
- Sally said that Joe said that Helen doesn't like it. And she's a pretty big pledger. I guess we better forget it.
- Bob’s pretty quiet about this whole thing. Guess he must be fine with it.
This article is part of the November 2005 Vestry Papers issue on Making the Tough Choices
Don't miss an issue! SUBSCRIBE