March 20, 2019
Five Resources on Investing and Maintaining Endowments
This month, we are highlighting five resources that can help your faith community invest in and maintain an endowment. Who else do you know who might appreciate these articles? Please share and extend an invitation to subscribe to ECF Vital Practices to receive Vestry Papers and the monthly digest.
1. In Four Steps to Maintain and Increase Your Endowment, Jerry Keucher shares the Dos and Don’ts of how to use your church’s endowment. If your church in considering establishing an endowment or wondering how an endowment might be beneficial, this is a very helpful read.
2. Ever wonder how vestry, the finance committee, and the endowment committee work together? In Church Endowments: Blessing or Curse, Ken Quigley proposes several things to consider while managing your endowment to avoid operational “sticky wickets.”
3. When is the last time your church issued a request for a proposal (RFP) for an investment advisor for your endowment funds? This tool will answer your many questions to get started with issuing an RFP for your endowment.
4. Do you know the laws that govern your endowment? In this webinar, Spending Rules and Investment Allocations, Ken Quigley reviews best practices and how your investment spending rule and asset allocation are intimately related and how proper policies and procedures will build trust with your donors.
5. Sometimes, the obstacle to creating an endowment is simply, “we don’t have the money.” In Building a Legacy, Demi Prentiss shares the story of how a smaller church, made smaller by a church split, found a way to build one.