The Quiet Center: Cultivating Inner Peace in Unsettling Times
As church leaders during this pandemic, we are practicing ministry in uncharted territory, and this can create anxiety. This webinar will provide simple practices to help settle the heart and mind, so that we can be fully present to our parishioners, our families, and to God.
The Rev. Rebecca Roberts is a recent graduate of The General Theological Seminary in New York City. She was ordinated as a priest at St. Catherine's in Marietta, GA on August 17, 2019. She is a certified yoga instructor and spiritual director with a special interest in contemplative practices and their place in the Episcopal Church.
Resources mentioned in webinar:
- Jon Kabat Zinn, Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment and Your Life (an introduction to Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)
- Thich Nhat Hanh, The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice (from a Buddhist perspective, examines the universal nature of prayer & provides simple practices of meditation and mindfulness)
- Nancy Roth, The Breath of God (a guide to basic prayer forms of the Christian tradition, using the breath as a means of exploring our connection to God)
- Thomas Ryan, Prayer of Heart & Body: Meditation and Yoga as Christian Spiritual Practice (a how-to guidebook to contemplative prayer practices and yoga from a Christian perspective)
- Tim Stead, Mindfulness and Christian Spirituality: Making Space for God (an introduction to mindfulness and how it can inform our Christian faith)