December 1, 2023
Advent Resources for 2023
As we put away the Thanksgiving tablecloths and start looking for Christmas trees, we invite you to take the time to celebrate Advent. Advent can be a wonderful time to pause and reflect on the miracle that is to come. To help you celebrate this season, we’ve gathered fourteen resources below. From all of us at ECF, we pray that your Advent is filled with peace, health and hopeful anticipation.
1. Find Advent and Christmas resources from The Episcopal Church here, including an updated Journeying the Way of Love Advent calendar and curriculum, weekly collects for Advent and Christmas Day, and Advent and Christmas Digital Invitation Kits. Most of their resources are also available in Spanish and French.
2. Ways to Prepare Ye is a brief and practical article to help Episcopalians recognize and observe the differences between Advent and Christmas.
3. #AdventWord - Join an international community of prayer this Advent season by posting a word every day and sharing with friends online. It’s a great way to engage in Advent and prepare for Christmas, all while providing an opportunity for evangelism.
4. Building Faith, a Ministry of the Virginia Theological Seminary, brings us a list of available Advent calendars here.
5. The Reverend Jemonde Taylor Shares Five Advent Resolutions: “Advent Resolutions, a take on New Year’s Resolutions, are opportunities to disrupt and disturb our normal way of worshiping, speaking, praying, and operating in the world.” Here the Rev. Jemonde Taylor highlights five articles from Vestry Papers for your consideration.
6. The SALT Project brings us a printable Advent calendar with differentiated pricing depending on if it is for an individual or for a small, medium or large congregation.
7. Episcopal Relief and Development presents an Advent Toolkit with do-it-yourself projects for families and communities, including wreath ideas, creche ideas and information about St. Nicholas.
8. Forward Movement offers numerous resources on Advent and Christmas, including several devotionals for Advent.
9. Illustrated Children’s Ministry has some wonderful resources for families. Take a look at their various Advent activities, coloring pages, Advent paper wreaths kits and more. These aren’t just your average coloring pages, and they’re for all ages!
10. Living Well Through Advent 2023 is a seasonal guide from Living Compass to help your heart, mind, strength, and soul. Want to live more holistically? This could be an excellent resource for you! The guide is also available in Spanish.
11. Advent in a Box by Building Faith, a ministry of Virginia Theological Seminary. “Advent in a Box was designed to provide faith at home resources to support, love, and connect families where and when they need it most.” Building Faith also offers Recursos para el Adviento in Spanish.
12. Journeying the Way of Love Advent Curriculum: The Episcopal Church has produced this four-week curriculum that moves through the first two chapters of the Gospel of Luke. It’s perfect for use during your Christian Formation hour before or after church and can be used by small or large groups.
13. Praying in Color Advent Calendar Templates by Sybil MacBeth help free-spirited individuals pray for their friends and loved ones. It’s also a fun way to engage children in creating meaningful prayers throughout Advent.
14. MyAdvent is a website where you can create a free personal online advent calendar.
Wishing you a blessed Advent season!
The ECF Vital Practices team