June 19, 2019
Five Resources for Transitions
This month we offer five resources on transitions and how to tackle them. Please share this digest with new members of your vestry and extend an invitation to subscribe to ECF Vital Practices to receive Vestry Papers and the monthly digest.
1. In No Time to Hibernate, Victor Conrado and Louisa McKellaston suggest that a transition is an opportunity to develop and grow the whole church - not a time to stay the course. Having strong lay leadership during such an interim is essential.
2. Hope Eakins’ article, Good Transitions, describes ways that a congregation in transition can prepare for the future. In addition, she lists five ways that interim clergy can support a congregation.
3. In her one-hour webinar, Beginning the Clergy Transition Process, d'Rue Hazel provides practical tips and concepts to consider during a search for new clergy leadership. She includes questions to encourage honest conversation around what kind of new leadership you are seeking.
4. Have a specific question about clergy transition? Resources for Clergy Transitions includes PowerPoint sessions, handouts, exit checklists, exit interview questions and other resources to help manage a clergy transition.
5. According to Sandra Clark Kolb, change and transition are two separate but related things, change being an event and transition the process. In Healthy Transitions Part I, she speaks to the process and outlines steps that should be taken before a departing rector leaves.